Monthly Archives: November 2016
Ward Five Meeting – Monday, November 14
Notes provided by Jill Keifer, who attended on our behalf.
- There is Ward 5 Advisory Committee Economic Development Town Hall Meeting on Thursday, Dec 8 at 5:30pm at Crossroads Elementary School. It is open to the public and will center around input on what you want Ward 5 to look like. This includes E. Little Creek, Ocean View Avenue, and Shore Drive. There will also be discussions about Waterside Live, the new outlet mall, a demographic study, and possible future light rail expansion up N. Military Highway.
- Discussion again turned to what the City can do to get a Trader Joe’s interested in Norfolk. The chain requires the area around any considered location to have to have 55% of the population to have college degrees and a median income of $60K.
- There will a nationwide search to replace city manager, not someone from inside City government.
- Thelma Drake now employed by the City as the assistant transportation director.
E. LITTLE CREEK CORRIDOR FROM TIDEWATER TO N. MILITARY HIGHWAY
The entire length of E. Little Creek Rd. from Tidewater to N. Military has been declared an Enterprise Zone by the City in hopes that it will continue the momentum of new businesses and development.
700 block :
- A Cookout is going next to Arbys. The old furniture store at the corner of Orchid and ELC will be demolished.
- An Applebees going in next to Dominos Pizza adjacent to Sam’s Club.
E. LITTLE CREEK CORRIDOR FROM N. MILITARY HIGHWAY TO SHORE DRIVE
Kroger has presented no formal plans to the city for it’s opposed location centered on the current Atlas Building site. The developer has deals with 9 of the 11 homeowners behind the Atlas building.
The Walmart Neighborhood Market at 1720 is being renovated.
The Riptide Carwash under construction had stormwater issues, which are now solved. Construction will resume soon.
- An unnamed shopping center developer was in talks with the owner the former Calvary School to buy the property and develop it. However talks fell through recently when they could not reach a deal.
- The Salvation Army Thrift Store at Roosevelt Gardens Shopping Center is now open.
The Steak n’ Shake will open in January 2017. They will begin hiring and training next month.
SHORE DRIVE/EAST BEACH
- The Coastal Villas by the Bay at 7922 Shore Dr. are 100% occupied, and the developer is exploring options to build more.
- Mac’s Place on the Bay (formerly Ship’s Cabin) has closed permanently. The land has been purchased along with the empty plot on E. Oceaneviw Ave. across from the AJ Gator’s shopping center. More homes are planned.