LAKE WHITEHURST WEST CIVIC LEAGUE
MEADOWBROOK FOREST- HUNT CLUB POINT – MEADOWBROOK TERRACE – WATERS EDGE
CIVIC LEAGUE BY LAWS
(Revised March 9, 2015)
Article I – Name
The legal name of this civic league shall be the Lake Whitehurst West Civic League, hereafter referred to as the League.
Article II – Aims and Objectives
The mission of the Lake Whitehurst West Civic League is to encourage and empower residents of diverse backgrounds and interests to work together in the development of a safe and healthy neighborhood.
Our Core Values as approved at our October 2013 meeting are:
- Ensuring safe homes and streets.
- Supporting excellence in the maintenance of property values.
- Creating a positive, regenerative effect on our environment that avoids detrimental impacts.
- Providing a web-based organization with effective and efficient services that are responsive, inclusive, and neighborhood focused.
Article III – Membership
Any adult(s) residing in a single household in Meadowbrook Forest, Hunt Club Point, Meadowbrook Terrace or Water’s Edge are eligible for one household membership. Each household membership shall be entitled to one vote on any issue before the civic league, provided the household is a member in good standing with dues paid in full at the time of the meeting.
Article IV – Dues
Annual dues are $15 and shall be due and payable in advance on the first of January in the amount specified in the Bylaws. Membership is by calendar year, from January 1 through December 31.
Article V – Executive Board of Officers
Section 1. The Executive Board and inherent duties of each office are defined as follows:
- President – The president shall chair all League meetings and Board meetings and shall act as the official representative and spokesperson of the League unless that responsibility is delegated by the president, the League membership, or these Bylaws to another person. The president shall prepare the agenda for all board meetings. The president is an ex-officio member of all committees.
- First Vice President – The first vice president shall be responsible for arranging guest speakers and other programs to be featured at membership meetings. The vice president shall also assist the president in the execution of presidential responsibilities and act on behalf of the president during the president’s absence or inability to attend to duties.
- Second Vice President – The second vice president is responsible for coordinating all social activities of the League with the assistance of the Social Committee. The second vice president shall assist the first vice president in the execution of their duties and act on behalf of the first vice president during their absence or inability to attend to duties.
- Treasurer – The treasurer shall have custody of all funds of the League and deposit same in the name of the League in such federally insured bank or banks as the Board may choose. The treasurer shall prepare and present an annual budget for the approval of the Board at the January board meeting and the League at the general meeting. The treasurer shall prepare and present an accounting of all receipts and disbursements in a monthly report the Board and to the League, and shall deliver an annual report to the League at the November meeting. The treasurer shall collect and record all dues and monitor/maintain a League membership roster.
- Secretary – The secretary will record and maintain minutes of all Board and general membership meetings and submit them to the respective bodies for approval, provide copies of minutes to Board members prior to the meetings at which they are to be approved and maintain the minutes of the league in good order, transferring them to the secretary’s successor upon election. The secretary shall notify Board members of the time and place of board meetings and shall provide agendas for all regularly scheduled board and membership meetings. The secretary will publish said minutes in the web site.
- General Area Chairman – The general area chairman will head the community improvement committee.
- Member-at-Large – The member-at-large will represent the best interests of all member neighborhoods.
Section 2. The Board shall:
- Assist in guiding the League toward the achievement of its objectives outlined in Article II.
- Be responsible for coordinating the activities of the League and its committees.
- Prepare the agenda for all regular League meetings.
Section 3. No officer or member of the League shall represent the League in any matter without prior approval of the Board.
Section 4. Any officer, who fails to attend three consecutive League or Board meetings without good cause, may be removed from office in accordance with Section 5 of this article.
Section 5. Any officer who fails to perform the duties of such office may be removed, following 15 days written notice from the Board, by a two-thirds vote of the members present and voting at the next League meeting.
Section 6. The board will appoint interim vacancies of an office until a special election at the next League meeting, following notice in the newsletter.
Article VI – Committees
Section 1. Special and Standing Committees may be appointed by the board on an as needed basis.
Article VII – Election of Officers
- At the September meeting the President shall appoint a Nomination Committee of not less than two or more than four members.
- The slate offered by the Nominating Committee shall be delivered to the membership along with the announcement of the November meeting. Additional nominations may be made from the floor at the November meeting.
- The officers shall be elected annually at the regular November meeting by voice vote. A quorum of the membership must be present at this November meeting and a simple majority of those present will elect. Any officer may succeed himself.
- The duly elected officers shall be installed at the November meeting or a called December meeting.
Article VIII – Finances
Section 1. All individual expenditures in excess of $250.00 shall be contained in a membership-approved budget or approved in advance by the membership at meeting. The Board shall approve all expenditures in advance.
Section 2. The President and the Treasurer shall sign all checks.
Section 3 Claims for expenses incurred on behalf of the League must be submitted to the treasurer within 45 days of the day the expense was incurred. Original or a replica of the receipt must accompany the claim or the claim will not be reimbursed under any circumstances.
Section 4. An ad hoc committee shall audit the treasurer’s books annually in November. The results of the audit will be announced no later than at the January board and general meeting.
Article IX – Meetings and Quorum
- Meetings or official civic league events will be held in January, February, March, April, May, June, September, October, November and December. The July meeting can be replaced by the annual Summer Picnic.
- Meeting will be held on the third Monday of the month and begin at 7PM.
- The Executive Committee may change the day and hour of a regular meeting, and may call special meetings at any time upon notification of the membership.
- A quorum shall consist of 12 paid members in good standing of the League.
Article X – Parliamentary Procedure
The proceedings of the League shall be conducted in accordance with the Roberts Rules of Order, unless otherwise provided in the Constitution.
These bylaws may be amended by the submission of a proposal in writing to the membership at any regular meeting. The Secretary shall read each such proposal. The proposal shall then be open for discussion on the floor of the meeting at which submitted. It shall be delivered to the membership by newsletter prior to the next meeting and open for further discussion prior to voting. Such proposal shall become effective upon approval by a two-thirds vote of those members in good standing in attendance, provided a quorum is present.
The Lake Whitehurst West Civic League adopted this Document on April 20, 2015 in the City of Norfolk, VA.
Eric Hause, President
Eileen Diffley, First Vice President
Jill Keifer, Second Vice President
Jim Driggers, Treasurer
Andrew Roberts, Secretary